Monday, October 27, 2008

Letter to the Editor published 10/30/08

When is enough enough?

As the mother of two Jasper County Middle School Students, I became aware of what I believe is a serious problem with the safety of all students in the Jasper County School system. Allow me to state first that I am not writing this without having spoken to Mr. Fore at the high school, Ms. McWhorter at the middle school, Mr. Jerry Williams, head of the transportation department and Mr. Jay Brinson, Superintendent of Jasper County schools. I have been told nothing will be done.

On October 8, 2008 on the bus ride home from school my 11 year old daughter was assaulted by a high school senior. My daughter was grabbed from behind by the hair which was pulled hard enough that muscles in her neck and right shoulder were sprained. That’s when I began making phone calls and attending meetings with the above officials. That is also when the harassment of my daughter by the high school senior and her gang of friends escalated. The only action I could take was to remove my children from school provided transportation to protect them from this bully and her gang.

The administration in this county has done nothing to discipline the senior that assaulted my daughter and I was informed October 24, 2008 by Mr. Williams that even though the senior confessed to him that she assaulted my daughter on the bus and despite my supplying a witness to the assault, that in his professional opinion there is not enough proof that an assault occurred. Mr. Williams stated to me that during his investigation he had reviewed tapes from the bus. On October 24, 2008, when I requested to be able to view the tapes myself, I was informed that the VCR on that bus does not in fact work. Mr. Williams also informed me that during his questioning of the bully, she claimed she was just playing so, again, in his professional opinion there is no reason to take this matter any further and no disciplinary action needs to be taken. Mr. Williams stated that the aggressor said “I was just playing” and “It was just good fun.”

At every turn, I have been told that “there is no problem with discipline or safety of the students”. Mr. Brinson actually told me that if my children commit any infraction of school rules they will be instantly expelled. Mr. Brinson also stated in a conversation with my Mother that the school property being unsafe is merely our “perception”, that the yearly statistics show that there is no disciplinary or safety problem at the schools. My question to all the parents in Jasper County is if your child had a sprained neck and shoulder and the bully got no discipline wouldn’t you perceive that to be a problem. If your perception is the same as my perception please e-mail me at cleanupjaspercounty@yahoo.com or visit the blog I have set up at www.cleanupjaspercounty.blogspot.com

From the beginning, my goal has always been to bring this matter to the attention of the officials who are responsible for the safety of our students and ask them to allow me to become a part of the solution to this problem. However, it seems that some of the officials refuse to acknowledge a problem exists and other’s hands are tied by bureaucracy. However, I still intend to do what I can to change it and would love your help or even just your input.

Thank you,

Cynthia King
Concerned Mother of Jasper County Students
Donna Telley, Grandmother of Jasper County Students

No comments: